HomeLocal NewsKiller cops remanded in custody

Killer cops remanded in custody


The seven Shamva police officers accused of killing a resident and brutally assaulting others, who are battling for life in hospital, were yesterday remanded in custody to April 13 when they appeared at the Harare Magistrates’ Court on murder and assault charges.

The policemen were arrested on Monday last week following demonstrations by Shamva residents after the death of Luxmore Chivambo.

They include officer-in-charge Aspias Shumba (48), and junior officers Mortion Jakopo (41), Simon Mafunda (32), Michael Makwalo (30), Lee Makope (23), Benedict Tapfuma (22) and Blessing Saidi (26).

The seven were all not asked to plead when they appeared before magistrate Donald Ndirowei who remanded them in custody.

Prosecutor Tapiwa Kasema opposed bail and advised them to apply at the High Court.

The court heard on March 17 this year, Shumba’s wife Judith was allegedly robbed of her wallet which contained $100 and a Nokia 7209 cellphone.

Judith reported the matter to her husband who then mobilised his juniors to hunt down the alleged robber.

It is alleged Shumba and his colleagues drove to Ashley Gold Mine compound in a ZRP Land Rover.

Upon arrival, the officers raided Chivambo’s house where they found the couple asleep and allegedly forced the door open before dragging Chivambo outside.

It is alleged the officers attacked Chivambo with baton sticks, booted feet and clenched fists as they interrogated him to reveal the person who had robbed Shumba’s wife.

The perpetrated assault was done in full view of Chivambo’s wife Marjory Shamhu and his cousin Willard Mapuranga, a prison officer.

It is alleged Chivambo sustained serious injuries, but was later detained at the police station without medical treatment despite his condition.

Chivambo’s condition deteriorated the following day as he started vomiting blood and could not eat.

Shumba later allegedly instructed his juniors to take him to hospital.

Chivambo, however, died at the hospital.
On the same day, the police officers rounded up other residents whom they attacked over the same allegation.

Eleven of the assault victims were referred to Bindura Provincial Hospital where 10 were treated and discharged while Shepherd Hudye is still reportedly battling for life at Shashi Private Hospital in Bindura.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading