HomeLocal NewsMore woes for killer cops

More woes for killer cops


The eight Shamva policemen, who ran amok assaulting residents last week, have been transferred to CID Homicide, Harare, amid revelations lawyers representing the injured victims are set to sue for illegal arrest, detention and torture of their clients.

The lawyer representing the cops, Zvidzai Kajokoto confirmed his clients were transferred to Harare and are likely to appear in court early next week.

“At the moment, what I know is that they were supposed to go for indications and that’s why they didn’t go to court. They were transferred yesterday to CID Homicide in Harare and might appear in court on Monday or Tuesday,” said Kajokoto.

The doctor attending to the victims, Nyikadzino Mahachi, told NewsDay three of the victims are in the intensive care unit (ICU) while others had various forms of injuries which include fractures.
The three who are in ICU are Sophia Magaya, Hilda Nyamaropa and Tellmore Mbinami.

“Three of them are in intensive care at the Avenues clinic. Some have complications like renal failure. Kidneys for one of them have shut down . . . others have sight and hearing impairment as a result of the attacks,” said Mahachi.

“The one with kidney failure was beaten up several times, started vomiting and lost lots of fluid,” he said.

One of the victims, Shepherd Hudye is still hospitalised in Bindura and is reportedly urinating blood and complaining of backaches.

A 59-year old woman, Martha Chidzonge, suffered the embarrassment of being dragged almost naked to a police van as the law enforcement agents unleashed the brutal attack.

“They made us roll on the floor and took turns to beat us up.

“They took us to their cells at around 3am until 5pm. We heard people crying outside and that’s when we learnt that our colleague had died,” said Chidzonge.
The victims said they were made to pay fines ranging between $5 to $20 before their release.

The cops beat up residents accusing them of stealing from their officer-in charge’s wife. One person died after the attack.

Efforts to get comment from national police spokesperson Senior Assistant Police Commissioner Wayne Bvudzijena were fruitless.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading