Judgment in the case of International Socialist Organisation (ISO) general coordinator Munyaradzi Gwisai and his five colleagues accused of attempting to incite public violence with a view to overthrowing the unity government, is expected to be passed today by provincial magistrate Kudakwashe Jarabini.
The six were put to their defence after their application for acquittal at the close of the State case failed.
Gwisai is being charged alongside Antoinette Choto, Tatenda Mombeyarara, Edson Chakuma, Hopewell Gumbo and Welcome Zimuto.
During the trial, Gwisai told the court their meeting on February 19 last year was not intended to topple the unity government as alleged by the State but was purely meant for academic purposes.
However, Gwisai’s assertions were disputed by prosecutor Michael Reza who insisted the socialist activists intended to cause mayhem on March 1 last year, but their efforts were thwarted by the swift intervention of the police.
Gwisai told the court he was scheduled to speak on the day in question as they were supposed to discuss the momentous events that were taking place in North Africa.
“The purpose of the meeting was to make a meaning of such events in Tunisia and Egypt for the working people in terms of democracy and socialism.”
Gwisai told the court the other purpose of the meeting was to commemorate the death of one Navigator Mungoni, an Aids activist and ISO member.
He further said he was supposed to speak on events in Egypt and Tunisia in relation to the global financial crisis and the state of capitalism globally today.