Chisora loses his licence

0
357

LONDON — Dereck Chisora’s licence has been withdrawn by the British boxing authorities.

“Dereck Chisora is not a fit and proper person to hold a licence,” the British Boxing Board of Control’s general-secretary, Robert Smith, said after a meeting in Cardiff.

“It has been withdrawn immediately.

“The British Board of Control deplore what occurred at the weigh-in, in the ring before the contest commenced and at the post-contest Press conference,” Smith said in a statement.

“Such behaviour brought the sport, the board and all licence holders into disrepute.

“Dereck Chisora, on his own admission, did not behave in a manner consistent with that of a professional boxer and let down, not only himself and his family, but, also, all those licence holders who behave in a professional manner.”

Chisora had apologised before the hearing, saying he had let down his family and the sport and acknowledging he had behaved in an unprofessional manner.

Sapa-AFP reports the heavyweight’s promoter said the board had taken the licence away indefinitely.
Frank Warren added they would consider whether to appeal against the decision.
Chisora appeared before the board of control in Cardiff on Wednesday to explain why he fought with Haye after losing his WBC heavyweight title challenge to Vitali Klitschko on February 18.
Chisora also slapped Klitschko at the pre-fight weigh-in and spat water at his opponent’s brother, Wladimir, just before the fight.
The WBC suspended Chisora indefinitely last month, taking him off its rankings and imposing a “serious fine”.
Sapa-AFP reports that Chisora, a 28-year-old Zimbabwe-born Londoner, was involved in several unsavoury incidents both before and after his points defeat against Vitali Klitschko.
He spent a night in the custody of German police after the post-fight clash with Haye.
— Reuters