The trial of a Beitbridge woman, Elizabeth Muleya, who allegedly strangled her one-year-old child 11 years ago failed to kick off last week after she was reported to have skipped the border into South Africa.
As a result, the matter was struck off the roll.
State counsel Lewis Maunze sent Muleya’s docket back to Beitbridge and advised the police the matter had been struck off the roll.
“May you please accept the docket. This matter did not take off for trial as set down, thus the matter was struck off the roll,” said Maunze.
“The reason being that the accused Elizabeth Muleya was not located as per affidavit statement compiled and attached to the docket by Constable Danford Mashiringo.”
In his affidavit dated February 27, Mashiringo from Beitbridge Police Station said he was advised Muleya crossed the border into South Africa and has not been in the country for some years.
It is alleged on the night of October 25 2001, Muleya strangled her baby inside her bedroom hut and later claimed it had been bitten to death by an unknown creature.
However, her mother, Rosina Muleya, became suspicious and reported the matter to the police.
The baby’s body was ferried to United Bulawayo Hospitals where a doctor’s report revealed the baby had died of strangulation.
Muleya was arrested and spent 11 years on remand before her matter was set down for trial this year.