Man shot dead in botched police raid

0
410

The family of an 18-year-old man from Zhombe, who was last month shot dead during a raid by police searching for a murder suspect, has demanded an inquest into the matter.

Simon Tavengwe, father of the deceased, Hillary, accused the three police officers from the Kwekwe Criminal Investigation Department, who conducted the raid at Lova mine, of negligence.

Hillary was shot in the head on February 9 when police laid ambush at the Mine after receiving a tip-off that a suspect wanted for murder, only identified as Ngwezi, was hiding in the area.

Details about what transpired during the raid remain sketchy, but police have reportedly treated the killing as an act of self-defence.

They reportedly accused Hillary of attacking one of the officers with a shovel leading to the shooting.
Midlands provincial spokesperson Inspector Patrick Chademana could not give details on the matter, saying he was not aware of such a case.

But according to a death certificate (659145) issued at United Bulawayo Hospitals on February 10, Hillary died of bronchial aspiration and severe brain damage, multiple skull fracture caused by a gunshot wound.

A doctor who conducted the post-mortem forwarded the certificate to the Kwekwe Magistrates Court, saying he did not believe the death was due to natural causes. Hillarys mother Virginia Makoka said Kwekwe police gave the family $150 for the burial.

I am in pain because they killed a defenceless person and all they can tell me is that they are sorry by giving me $150 to bury him, she said.