Liverpool win Carling Cup


LONDON Liverpool lifted the Carline Cup last night after a dramatic 3-2 penalty shootout at the Wembley Stadium in London.

Ben Turner had scored a dramatic late equaliser for Cardiff in extra-time to make it 2-2 after Dirk Kuyt had looked to have won it when he scored in the second half of extra time. Joe Mason had opened the scoring before Martin Skrtel forced extra time.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard missed the opening penalty, so did Cardiff before Kuyt scored and Stewart Downing and Glen Johnson scored. Cardiffs Anthony Gerrard, cousin to the Reds captain put the ball wide to leave it at 3-2 for Kenny Dalglish and his men, for their first cup is six years.

l Arsenal staged an astonishing comeback to win a compelling north London derby against Tottenham and relieve the pressure on manager Arsene Wenger.
The Gunners looked set for a third loss in a row after trailing to a Louis Saha strike and Emmanuel Adebayors penalty.

Bacary Sagnas header and a curler from Robin van Persie levelled the scores. Tomas Rosicky flicked in a third and two fine Theo Walcott finishes sealed a rout which got even worse for Spurs when Scott Parker was sent off late on.

Meanwhile, Ryan Giggs marked his 900th appearance for Manchester United with a dramatic late winner as Sir Alex Fergusons side closed the gap on leaders Manchester City to two points.

United took an early lead when Paul Scholes headed home Nanis cross. Grant Holt levelled for the Canaries late on when he held off Rio Ferdinand to turn and fire into the top corner.

But there was still time for Giggs to steal the points when he converted Ashley Youngs cross at the far post.

Headed goals from Matthew Upson and Peter Crouch gave Stoke City a much-needed home win over Swansea City.

Upson directed Matthew Etheringtons corner past Swans debutant goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel after 24 minutes.

Crouch then doubled the lead when he was on the end of a long throw from Ryan Shotton to give Stoke their first home league win since 11 December.

Swansea hit the crossbar through Steven Caulker but Stoke held on to claim all three points. BBC Sport