HomeLocal News$97m Beitbridge upgrading cancelled

$97m Beitbridge upgrading cancelled

-

Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (Zimra) Commissioner-General Gershem Pasi yesterday told a parliamentary portfolio committee the government had cancelled the $97 million Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for the upgrading of infrastructure at Beitbridge Border Post.

Pasi said the contract was cancelled two months ago after the unnamed contractor failed to meet its obligation.

The Zimra boss told the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Budget and Investment Promotion the project had been on the drawing board since 2007.

“They moved (the company) on site and there have been some delays. In 2010, they helped us with temporary structures. But it has been two months now (since) the contract has been cancelled. We have tried to get the reasons why, but the reasons have not been availed. We checked with the directors, but they didn’t have reasons why the facility was cancelled,” Pasi said.

The project came after the commissioning of Chirundu One-Stop Border Post between Zambia and Zimbabwe, which is part of the Southern African Development Community strategy to speed up trade across the region.

The Chirundu project has reportedly resulted in a one-third reduction in transit times.

Meanwhile, Pasi claimed he was not involved in the 2012 National Budget formulation process which recommended scrapping off rebate duty on clothes and shoes.

“Yes, it’s a legal duty given to me, and we do advise but that’s just what it is. When you advise, your advice can be taken on board or not. Unlike in the past, we would be part of the budget.I was not involved, I was not included. When I got the budget I did write. I got my copy of the budget on December 6 2011.”

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading