The trial of three Mthwakazi Liberation Front (MLF) leaders facing treason charges has been moved back to the Bulawayo High Court after it was initially set for Harare.
The three are secretary-general Paul Siwela, party deputy secretary for security Charles Thomas and former secretary-general John Gazi.
Their lawyer, Sindiso Mazibisa, confirmed the latest development yesterday at the release of Siwela and Thomas from Khami Remand Prison.
The politicians were locked up last week after the State revoked their $2 000 bail each after their indictment for trial at the Harare High Court on February 7.
Mazibisa said his clients trial would now take place at the Bulawayo High Court. There were wild celebrations from friends and family members when Siwela and Thomas emerged from the prison cells yesterday.
However, their alleged accomplice, Gazi, remained behind bars as he is still serving a 10-month jail term for a fraud case involving a city building.
In an interview soon after his release, a jovial Siwela said he was happy that his release from remand prison coincided with his birthday. Siwela was born on January 24, 1962, making him 50 yesterday.
This is a blessed day for me because I have been released on the day I was born. The situation in cells is horrible and for one to be released is really a relief, he said.
The three have not been asked to plead to the treason charges, 11 months after the case opened at the Bulawayo Magistrates Court. Eleven witnesses are set to testify in the case on February 7.