Court dismisses Woza pair application

0
467

Bulawayo magistrate Godwin Sengweni has thrown out an application by two Women of Zimbabwe Arise (Woza) leaders to have their kidnapping and theft charges dropped.

The pair, Jennifer Williams and Magodonga Mahlangu, had applied for discharge, arguing the State allegations had no firm basis.

But, Sengweni on Monday dismissed the application without giving reasons, prompting the pair’s lawyer, Kossam Ncube, to challenge him to give reasons for the dismissal to enable his clients to consider other options.

Sengweni then remanded the matter to tomorrow when he said his reasons for arriving at that decision would be ready.

The two made the application arguing the State had failed to prove a case against them as the evidence was inconsistent and contradictory and said allowing the State to put them on their defence would be tantamount to giving it leeway to bolster its weak case.

However, prosecutor Goodluck Katenaire argued the State had managed to prove its case against Williams and Mahlangu as the evidence adduced in court was consistent and corroborative.

State allegations are that the pair kidnapped Emma Mabhena (75) and stole a torch belonging to Bokani Moyo in July last year.

Both Williams and Mahlangu have denied the charges.