Woza leaders want case dismissed

0
368

Women of Zimbabwe Arise (Woza) leaders, Jennifer Williams and Magodonga Mahlangu on Tuesday submitted their application for discharge arguing State evidence against them was riddled with inconsistencies and contradictions.

Kossam Ncube who is representing the pair, said allowing the State to put his clients on their defence would be tantamount to giving it leeway to bolster its weak case.

“I submit that allowing the accused to be put on their defence will be allowing the State to go on a fishing expedition with the hope that loopholes in its case would be closed as the State has failed to prove a case against the accused at the close of its case,” Ncube said.

But Goodluck Katenaire for the State argued they managed to prove a case against Williams and Mahlangu as the evidence given in court was consistent and corroborative.

“All the State witnesses managed to stick to their story of what transpired on the day in question and disregarded what they didn’t know.

“It’s my submission that that State has managed to prove a case against the accused persons and they should be put to their defence as there are a lot of questions raised, which they have to answer,” Katenaire said.

The application comes after all witnesses lined up to testify in the matter, Emma Mabhena, Bokani Nleya and Tabie Ndlovu disowned statements attributed to them in court papers two weeks ago.

Williams and Mahlangu have denied the kidnapping and theft charges levelled against them.

Both are on $200 bail granted by Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Maphios Cheda in September last year, after spending 12 days at Mlolondolozi Prison in the city.

Williams and Mahlangu were charged with kidnapping and theft after it was alleged they kidnapped Mabhena in Njube in July last year and stole a torch at a house in Nketa.

The matter has been remanded to January 16.