Timber logging to resume

0
434

The Forestry Commission’s tender committee expects to complete selection of timber logging companies that will work in five concessions in Matabeleland North before February 1, it has been learnt.

The commission suspended harvesting of timber in the five concessions in August last year after expiry of the previous tender period.

This prompted the smuggling of timber from Zambia to fill the vacuum in the market.

In an interview yesterday, the commission’s deputy general manager responsible for concessions and extensions, Abednicho Marufu, said the tender process was being rounded up.

“The tender committee is yet to select winners of the tenders, but we believe by February 1 or any time earlier, those who would have won will start harvesting timber in the five concessions,” he said.

Marufu said after approval of winners, they would be asked to produce or acquire environmental impact assessment documents with the Environmental Management Agency for final approval.

This process is meant to ensure those who win the tender harvest timber in an environmentally-friendly manner.