Hardbody, Tripple B: Zifa’s time bomb


Zifa are sitting on a potential time bomb with their failure to confirm Premier Soccer League (PSL) new entrants from the Central Region by their Appeals Committee.

The committee is yet to finalise the case between Hardbody and Tripple B — the two protagonists in the region who are vying for the 16th slot in the PSL.

The delay flies in the face of Zifa president Cuthbert Dube’s mission statement of transparency and corporate governance.

Hardbody fear they could lose potential sponsors and partners if the case is not resolved in time.

Hardbody lodged an appeal last November against the stripping of 42 points after they were found guilty by the Central Region Disciplinary Committee of improperly registering midfielder Tatenda Chingara.

And now, almost a month after the appeals case was heard on December 9, no ruling has been made by the committee comprising of Tererai Gunje, Timothy Sangarwe and one Mabhundu.

The PSL is currently made up of 15 teams and with the 2012 season set to kick off in March, the team promoted from the Central Region will only have less than three months to prepare for the maiden dance with top-flight football.

Even Zifa itself does not know when the judgment would be passed, although various assumptions have pointed out that it would be made today when Zifa resumes official business after the festive holidays.

The association’s communications officer Nicky Dhlamini said her office is not in the know of the happenings.

“Honestly speaking, I am in the dark about when the verdict would be made. I will try to establish everything tomorrow (today). You can talk to (Zifa chief executive officer Jonathan) Mashingaidze,” said Dhlamini.

Mashingaidze was unreachable for comment yesterday.

After expressing their concern over the delay in the passing of the verdict last week, Hardbody yesterday reiterated their unease and called for a quick resolution of the matter.

“We are totally in the dark about what is happening. There is no communication from Zifa. We even do not know the reason for the delay.

“I have been trying but in vain to get hold of Jonathan Mashingaidze, but tomorrow (today) we will try to make a follow-up,” said the Gweru club’s chairman Patrick Chikwanda.

“We need to know our position so that we prepare early for the new season.

“Even our potential sponsors and partners cannot come on board if they do not know the league we would be playing in this year. You cannot have proper plans when you do not know your future.”

PSL chief executive officer Kenny Ndebele said they were not concerned about the delay since they were still closed for the holidays.

“Right now we are on holiday and will only open for business on the 10th of January. The fixtures issues and other business will be looked at when we open so I cannot comment on that. Yes, we need to have 16 teams, but that is not our worry at the moment since we are closed,” said Ndebele.

Tripple B do not seem concerned about the delay either. Club secretary Gibson Makhanda said they were going ahead with readying themselves for the new season in whichever league.