HomeLocal NewsTrauma Centre saga:Sable boss arrested

Trauma Centre saga:Sable boss arrested


The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has arrested one of its most wanted alleged fraudsters, Jeremy Stanford, over a $4 million fraud case.

Stanford, chief executive officer of Sable Mining in Zimbabwe, was arrested while allegedly trying to flee the country at Harare International Airport last Friday.

Sources at ACC who declined to be identified confirmed the latest development to NewsDay yesterday, but declined to shed more light on the matter.

“Yes, he was arrested on Friday and is expected to appear in court tomorrow (today) on charges of fraud involving $4 million,” said the source.

Stanford is also suspected to have been the mastermind behind the July 1, 2010 kidnapping of Trauma Centre hospital manager Zarina Dudhia.
It is alleged Stanford, Annesley and Gordon stole over $4,5 million over the past year through fraudulent contracts and renovations for Trauma Centre Hospital.

Their alleged accomplices, who are also on the run, are Ernest Pfumbi and a Trauma Centre matron, only identified as Stacy.

The ACC is also reported to be hunting down African Medical Investment (AMI) regional executive, Peter Annesley and CEO for Streamsleigh Investments Zimbabwe and manager of Trauma Centre Elisabeth Gordon over corruption and fraud.

Trauma Centre is part of AMI and Streamsleigh, owned by Vivek Savji Solanki, a third-generation Zimbabwean of Indian ancestry who is a prominent medical practitioner in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Annesley and Gordon are believed to have skipped the country when they got wind of the investigations.

Their alleged accomplices Paul Stefanos Stevenson (41) and Mavis Mushonga (43) were arrested by the ACC early last month and appeared at Harare Magistrates’ Court on charges of defrauding Trauma Centre and owner Solanki of $501 000.

They were granted $500 and $1 000 bail respectively and ordered to surrender their passports and to report at Avondale and Rhodesville police stations respectively.

Sources at ACC confirmed police were hunting down the fugitives, but declined to give more details.
“They fled while senior officers from the ACC were hot on their heels two weeks ago,” a source said.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading