HomeSportSoccerDynamos champions

Dynamos champions


Dynamos . . . . . . . .(1) 2
Kiglon . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Devastation and destruction must have been Dynamos’ plan in their season-ending Castle Lager Premier Soccer League collision with Kiglon on Sunday, but a 2-0 win was enough for the Glamour Boys to win the 2011 Castle Lager Premier Soccer League championship in front of a capacity crowd at Rufaro Stadium.

A charged but nervy DeMbare created and missed an avalanche of chances in both halves. Yet few will remember that. Calisto Pasuwa’s team finally rewarded the demanding fans.

On Sunday, Dynamos and Kiglon played contrasting games as the Harare giants strove to get as many goals as possible while their opponents played at a pedestrian pace, having already been relegated, but well prepared to frustrate DeMbare.

The Harare giants managed to outdo their rivals FC Platinum to shoot to the top and grab the league title. They put in a good run towards the end of the campaign, operating at a gear no other team was able to match.

The two teams finished on the same number of points (58), but Dynamos had a superior goal difference.

After many close shaves and missed opportunities, DeMbare striker Rodrick Mutuma’s fancy footwork sent the stadium into rapture with the last kick of the first half after hitting the nets with enviable eloquence.

And with 27 minutes left — Dynamos still leading by a solitary goal — Kiglon’s Brighton Pamhirwa could have silenced the crowd, but his effort hit the top
crossbar on its way to the crowd.

The second half had a similar script and the same actors as the first. The Dynamos front men carelessly squandered opportunities.

A Guthrie Zhokinyi header finally put to rest any thought or hopes Dynamos would fail to win this title with the stadium erupting into the Zora Butter celebratory dance with just three minutes on the clock. Dynamos could have easily realised a tennis or rugby-like scoreline as wasted chances were created one close to the other.

Mutuma could have bagged a number, but he was denied by a combination of poor finishing and good defending. However, he sent one crashing against the crossbar in the second half.

On the other hand, striking partner and captain Cuthbert Malajila was guilty of messing up a number of well-constructed moves as was Archford Gutu, but enjoyed every moment of it after lifting the biggest football prize in the land.

Malajila was released on several occasions, but shot wide at the keeper and at the stands — while Gutu, who broke free on 52 minutes, took his time.

Kiglon were professional, giving it their all and making the new champions earn the piece of silverware.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading