A 35-year-old woman, Plaxedes Mugoni, died last Thursday after she was stung by a venomous scorpion.
Police said Mugoni, of Ngodho village under Chief Mhondoro Ngezi, was stung as she was putting on her nightdress, preparing to go to bed, but managed to kill the scorpion.
She later retired to bed, but collapsed the following morning due to suspected excessive poisoning.
Acting Mashonaland West provincial police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Ian Kohwera confirmed the incident on Wednesday.
“The following morning, the now deceased went on with her household chores without any signs of illness, but she later collapsed while sweeping her room,” he said.
Her husband Benjamin Muchechesi with the help of his brother rushed Mugoni to Neuso Clinic where she died on arrival.
Deaths as a result of scorpion bites are not common in Zimbabwe as poisonous species are also rare, police said.