HomeSportSoccerBlue Ribbon stun Dynamos

Blue Ribbon stun Dynamos


Blue Ribbon . . . . . (1) 1
Dynamos . . . . . . . . . . 0

Premiership rookies Blue Ribbon completed a double over Dynamos yesterday when they edged the Harare giants in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Rufaro Stadium yesterday.

The Misheck Chidzambwa-coached side beat their more fancied opponents in the reverse fixture 2-1 in June and once again DeMbare could not find the medicine to tame the minnows.

A James Jam seventh minute strike is all that Blue Ribbon needed to continue their fairy tale against Lloyd Mutasa’s men.

With the win, Blue Ribbon leapfrogged Caps United and Hwange to occupy sixth position while DeMbare are still sitting on fourth position behind log leaders FC Platinum, Mighty Bulls and Highlanders in that order.

Blue Ribbon made clear their intention of winning the match from the first whistle, but only went ahead in the seventh minute through Jam.

It was Tineyi Chitora who roasted two defenders before releasing Tawanda Mapungu whose pinpoint cross was headed home by Jam with Washington Arubi a mere spectator.

The DeMbare defence was in most cases caught in sixes and sevens, but they had Arubi to thank as he was equal to a number of Blue Ribbon raids.

The only time that DeMbare attacked the Blue Ribbon goal area in the first half was when Rodrick Mutuma had his shot cleared off the goalline by man-of-the-match Brighton Tuwaya.

At half time, Mutasa introduced young Tichaona Mabvura for the ineffective Murape Murape.

In the 49th minute Mutuma beat an offside trap, but failed to beat Tapiwa Zvaita in goals for Chibataura who made a suicidal save for his side to maintain the lead.

Martin Vengesayi watched in disbelief as his header from a Timire Mamvura corner kick was cleared off the line by Tuwaya again in the 54th minute.

Chidzambwa and Mutasa made substitutions at the same time as Eriah Phiri made room for Talent Munetsi while Farai Vimisayi made room for Nathan Ziwini who changed the complexion of the game for DeMbare.

The Glamour Boys started attacking from all angles, but the equaliser could not come.
The last 10 minutes were the most pregnant with action as action of attacks swung from one end to the other.

DeMbare bombarded the Blue Ribbon area, but their strikers were not precise at goal.

On the other hand, Chitora and Munetsi failed to beat Arubi in two clearcut chances after beating offside traps on both occasions.

The match had added time of seven minutes.

As usual, Arubi went to the Vietnam stand to get his quick allowance from DeMbare fans who dished out cash to the impressive goalkeeper for his sterling performance.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading