KWEKWE — The Local Government Board (LGB) is expected to decide the fate of suspended Kwekwe City Council treasurer, Albert Zingwe, and resolve the long-standing wrangle which has reportedly divided city fathers.
Some councillors are reportedly calling for his expulsion from the local authority while others want him to stay.
Zingwe was suspended last year on allegations of theft, insurbodination and fraud involving $26 000, which charges he has since denied.
A three-member board of inquiry recently found him guilty on seven out of nine charges and recommended his expulsion from council employ.
But some councillors opposed the recommendation, setting the stage for a fresh legal wrangle.
However, council in an effort to resolve the matter once-and-for-all — insiders told NewsDay yesterday — the LGB was expected to deliberate over the issue on July 29. They said council had already paid the mandatory $620 to cover the board’s expenses.
Zingwe’s lawyer, Martin Makonese, confirmed yesterday his client’s fate would be decided on July 29. “At the moment we are waiting to hear from the board then we will act from there,” said Makonese.
Kwekwe mayor Shadreck Tobaiwa refused to comment on the matter. Councillors Aaron Gwalazimba and Queenly Chitopo recently petitioned Kwekwe District Administrator, Tenpercent Mutikizizi, demanding for a fresh probe saying the initial investigations were stage-managed to secure a conviction.