HomeSportSoccerKiglon hold Highlanders

Kiglon hold Highlanders


Kiglon . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0
Highlanders . . . . . . . . .0

Highlanders have once again failed to break the Rufaro Stadium hoodoo after they were held to a goalless draw by a stubborn Kiglon Bird side in a drab Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played on day.

The last time the Bulawayo giants collected maximum points at the Mbare stadium in a league match was back in 2006 when their championship-winning side beat nemesis Dynamos 1-0.

Highlanders coach Mkhuphali Masuku was disappointed at the end of the match.

“I don’t have much to say. Sometimes when you play a team that has no ambition, this is exactly what you get,” Masuku said.

“But besides, we were playing away from home, so I’m comfortable with a point. The good thing is that they are coming to Barbourfields on Sunday and we are going to beat them,” added the dreadlocked gaffer.

His opposite number Pearson Matipedza yesterday paraded virtually a new team after the departure of a host of names.

Kiglon missed the services of former captain Charles Mukanhairi and Conrad Whitby who are reported to be training at Dynamos while the striking duo of Ngonidzashe Maviri and William Manondo have been recalled to DC Academy in Division One.

“I lost many players during the transfer window so it’s OK for me that we managed to pick up a point against a team like Highlanders. I hope to sign some big names before the match in Bulawayo,” said Matipedza.

The draw moved Highlanders into fourth position with 24 points while Kiglon are still in the relegation zone on 13th position with 15 points. Kiglon named six new players in the starting XI: William Nyasulu, More Moyo, Bernard Bvumbwe, Mudiwa Mususa, Last Chibwiro and Shepherd Chikuwamba and were the first team to settle in the match, but fizzled out as the first half progressed.

Highlanders skipper Gilbert Banda headed over from a corner-kick in the 22nd minute while Erick Mudzingwa blasted wide seven minutes later.

Kiglon’s Kumbiraishe Kapikinyu got to the end of a cut-in in the 37th minute, but his tame shot was collected by Ariel Sibanda from point blank.

Both teams had good chances in the second half to win a match with Highlanders’ Bekithemba Ndlovu’s speculative shot hitting the stands in the 63rd minute while Kenny Mageja’s shot also missed the target for Kiglon.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading