Kasu acquitted of threatening Sharuko

Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) board member Elliot Kasu was Monday acquitted on allegations of threatening Herald sports editor Robson Sharuko with unspecified action.

Kasu was alleged to have threatened to “fix” Sharuko just after the goalless draw match between Zimbabwe and Cape Verde at the National Sports Stadium in October last year.

Regional magistrate Memory Chigwaza said the State had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Kasu committed the alleged offence and acquitted him.

According to the State, Kasu blamed The Herald and particularly Sharuko as being responsible for the chaos in the Warriors camp and poor results.

The State alleged Kasu told a gathering while Sharuko was standing close by that he was fed up with Sharuko’s questioning of the goings-on at Zifa and the organisation’s choice of personnel for particular posts.

As a result Kasu is alleged to have said he was going to hunt down Sharuko and fix him.

Kasu (50), who is also ZBC general manager (finance), was being charged with contravening Section 41(b) of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act (Chapter 9:23).

The law criminalises threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaving in a threatening, abusive or insulting manner.

Comments are closed.

© 2016 NewsDay Zimbabwe. All Rights Reserved.

DMMA logo