HomeSportSoccerDynamos SA trip uncertain

Dynamos SA trip uncertain

-

Dynamos’ trip to South Africa for an international friendly match against Orlando Pirates was still unclear on Thursday night despite the Premier Soccer League (PSL) having cleared the Harare giants for tomorrow’s game at Rand Stadium.

While Zifa and the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) were expected to clear the team for the trip yesterday, Dynamos board acting secretary Bernard Marriot was still consulting lawyers on the eligibility of Farai Munetsi and his executive doing duty as the Harare giants’ executive committee members.

Munetsi met board chairman Richard Chiminya yesterday, but both parties were not available to comment on the outcome of the meeting.

On Thursday night Munestsi said he was still waiting for tickets from the organsiers.

“I am still battling to scure tickets, but the organisers are working on that. If we don’t travel in the morning, we will go in the afternoon,” he said, a sure sign that they are still in office.

Dynamos chief executive Casper Muzenda has advised the executive commitee to wait for consultations with their lawyer.

The Dynamos directors want to bar Munetsi and all the other executive members of Dynamos, ousted in a boardroom coup on Saturday, from carrying out any duties on behalf of the club.

They also demanded an explanation from Zifa and the PSL as to why they were letting Munetsi and his colleagues organise a charity match scheduled for South Africa this weekend on behalf of the club, when they had been dumped from the club’s leadership structures.

“Letters were sent to Zifa and the PSL advising them of the changes and the fact that the two bodies have not responded means that they have acknowledged the changes,” said one of the directors.

“But we are surprised that there appears to be an attitude, on the part of both Zifa and the PSL, to let these people continue carrying out duties on behalf of the club.

“So far we haven’t received anything, officially, from Zifa to advise us that they have cleared the trip to South Africa and we hope they won’t make the mistake of communicating with those who have been stripped of authority.

“We have no problems with the team playing in South Africa, but we have every problem with our decisions being ignored,” a board member was quoted as saying.

PSL chief executive Kennedy Ndebele confirmed receipt of the letter. “I received the letter and we are waiting for the advice after they said they will advise of the new committee. On the trip, they made an undertaking that they will play Chicken Inn during the week when they return so we have no problem with them travelling.”

Zifa chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze was not reachable for comment as he was busy with the Cosafa women’s championships preparations.

Joyce Dube, director of the Southern African Women’s Institute for Migration Affairs, who are co-organising the match with Show Me Your Number told Kick Off magazine yesterday that they have not been informed of any changes to the Dynamos itinerary.

“We have not been told of any changes, so we are still preparing for that game. We are hopeful that Dynamos will still make the trip and be part of this great initiative,” she is quoted as saying.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading