HomeSportSoccerChaos hits Dynamos

Chaos hits Dynamos

-

Dynamos executive chairman Farai Munetsi was still in office on Tuesda night despite reports that he, together with his committee, had been relieved of his duties at the country’s most popular club.

Instead, the Premiership giants’ board of directors has called a crisis meeting on Wednesday afternoon that will clarify whether Munetsi stays or leaves the club.

While board chairman Richard Chiminya was not available for comment on Tuesday, sources confirmed that a meeting will be held today at 4pm at their National Sports Stadium offices to clarify the team’s leadership structures.

Munetsi said he had not received any official confirmation from the board of his ouster amid reports from sources, Kenny Mubaiwa, who was initially expected to take over at the weekend, was also shown the door.

The executive had Munetsi, Mubaiwa and Simon Sachiti as secretary-general after taking over from Oliver Manyau three months ago, and treasurer Harrison Mbewe as principal members.

If their departure is confirmed, Mbewe will also lose his position as Premier Soccer League (PSL) treasurer.

Sources said on Tuesday: “We have been called by Chiminya to the meeting tomorrow at 4pm, but the issue is we don’t know what the agenda is.

“There is too much that is happening at the club to an extent that somebody says members of the executive and the board must not talk to some papers because they belong to the opposition.”

The chaos at Dynamos had threatened to put their Saturday friendly match against Orlando Pirates at the Rand Stadium in Johannesburg, in jeopardy, although Munetsi said they were still working as usual.

“We are working as usual and we are trying to get that clearance from the PSL as we speak. I have not been called by the chairman on any issue. No letter has been given to me, so I am continuing my work. I am organising the trip to South Africa for the Orlando Pirates match,” Munetsi said on Tuesday night.

Sachiti also said he had not heard anything from the board and it was business as usual.

The match, meant to raise awareness about xenophobia, could now be scrapped after the Dynamos board of directors claimed they were not informed about the clash.
The match that was arranged by the Southern Africa Women’s Institute for Migration Affairs, in partnership with Show Me Your Number, began last year as the Ubuntu Derby with Bloemfontein Celtic and Bulawayo giants Highlanders also set to face off at Ellis Park Stadium on July 9.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading