HomeLocal NewsZapu’s Ndebele dies

Zapu’s Ndebele dies


Prominent Bulawayo businessman and owner of the Zimbabwe Express Airlines Evans Ndebele has died.

Evans (52) was younger brother of the former Speaker of Parliament Cyril Ndebele and former Attorney General Sobuza-Gula Ndebele.

Ndebele was also chairman of Zapu’s resource mobilisation committee at the time of his death.
An ex-Zipra fighter, Ndebele reportedly died in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Saturday after a dialysis session.

His younger brother and family spokesperson, Wesley, said after the routine dialysis session, Ndebele started experiencing breathing problems leading to his sudden death.

“He had gone on a business trip to South Africa towards the end of May and as a person with kidney problems, he was going for routine dialysis sessions. After the session at about 3pm, he started complaining that he was failing to breathe properly,” said Wesley.

“The doctor was contacted and upon arrival tried to take him to Johannesburg hospital, but it was a bit far and he died on the way.”

Wesley said the family was shocked at Ndebele’s sudden death as he had gone to South Africa to try and resuscitate his airline business.

“At the time of his death, my brother was involved in a massive horticulture project at his farm that saw him supplying virtually the whole of Gweru with cabbages.”

In December 2009, Ndebele was suspended together with five other senior Zapu members for allegedly flouting party regulations. He was suspended together with Retired Colonel Ray Ncube, Smile Dube, former Bulawayo councillor Alderman Charles Mpofu, Nhlanhla Ncube and Charles Makhuya.

They were later reinstated following a party disciplinary hearing. Reasons cited for their suspension included holding and seeking to hold unauthorised meetings with the intention of showing insubordination to the party and its leadership.

They were also charged with making press statements that were deemed to be in contempt of the party leadership. As of yesterday afternoon, no burial arrangements had been made as the family was still arranging for the body to be flown to Bulawayo and then to his farm in Gweru for burial.

“We are still liaising with some relatives in South Africa so that the body is flown home,” Wesley said. Mourners are gathered at Lot 62 Umsungwe Block in Gweru.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading