HomeSportSoccerHighlanders thump Saints

Highlanders thump Saints


Highlanders . . . . . . . . . . (2) 3
Zimbabwe Saints . . . . . . . . 0

Highlanders shook off the disappointment of their last two defeats to whack old enemies Zimbabwe Saints in a rather mediocre Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Barbourfields Stadium Sunday.

The win catapulted Bosso to position three on the log standings after a slump following their loss to Motor Action and FC Platinum who are now joint top after dismissing Hwange 1-0 at the Colliery Sunday.

Highlanders scored through a powerful shot by former Chikwata midfielder Simon Munawa two minutes into the match, defender Lawson Nkomo from the spot-kick in the 41st minute and fast-improving striker Vincent Nzombe in the 52nd minute.

Bosso coach Mkhuphali “Mr Cooper” Masuku was happy with the emphatic victory after the two previous dismal displays.

“It was a tough match, but like I always say, we take every game like a cup final and I would like to give credit to the boys after the two losses,” Mr Cooper said.

Chauya Chikwata could have drawn first blood just a minute into the first half, but Mlamuli Phakathi failed to pack a shot with only goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda to beat, much to the chagrin of the Saints supporters.

Bosso were awarded a corner-kick a minute into the game which was sent in by Nkomo and a weak clearance by the Chikwata defence found Munawa on the loose from the centre.

He fired in a cracker which left goalkeeper Munyaradzi Diya a bemused spectator.

Dribbling wizard Rahman Kutsanzira weaved past Saints’ Vorster Chitema on the right flank and sent in a cross which found Nzombe in the Chikwata’s goal area in the 40th minute.

Nzombe was not selfish; he returned a pass to Kutsanzira whose shot was handled inside the box by defender Tafadzwa Maingire and referee Bekezela Makeka pointed to the spot.

A confident Nkomo converted to put Highlanders into a comfortable 2-0 lead.

Nzombe was to be rewarded for his hard work when he put the icing on the cake for Bosso in the 52nd minute with yet another thunderbolt after a defensive mix-up by Saints following bombardment of the Chikwata goal area by Highlanders.

It took Zimbabwe Saints 35 minutes to settle into the game after Bosso midfielders Arnold “Majaivana” Tshuma and Eric Mudzingwa went more on the offensive, exposing Louis Matawu in the middle of the park with Munawa doing most of the donkey work.

However, Bosso quickly contained the Zimbabwe Saints midfield of Ntokozo Tshuma, Leo Kurauzvione and Beaven Chikaka in the second half.

In the second half Saints’ closest to scoring was in the 90th minute, but striker Chipo Tsodzo’s header missed the target by a few centimetres.

After the match, Saints head coach Willard Mashinkila-Khumalo said his boys gave too much respect to Highlanders.

“My boys gave Highlanders a lot of respect and we conceded the early goals. Anyway, it was just another bad day in the office,” Mashinkila-Khumalo said.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading