Bosso fail to pay Fathi


Highlanders property attached by the Deputy Sheriff is set to go under the hammer on Thursday after the Bulawayo giants failed to pay their former coach, Mohammed Fathi, $17 000 in outstanding salaries and allowances.

Bosso who on Monday won the Independence Trophy and pocketed $12 000, had agreed to pay Fathi’s dues by April 18 after stopping the sale of their property to offset the debt a fortnight ago.

A source close to the case on Thursday told NewsDay Sport that Highlanders had failed to pay the $17 000 and the Deputy Sherriff was going ahead with the auction on Thursday.

“They have not paid anything and what it means is that the Deputy Sheriff continues with the auction to recover that money and that will be on Thursday (Thursday). What it means is that as long as there is no money between now and the day of auction and then the property goes under the hammer to recover the money,” the source said.

Highlanders’ property set to be auctioned includes the team bus, computers, sofas, television set, double door fridge, tables, soccer balls and office chairs.

Fathi’s manager and Bulawayo businessman, Omega Sibanda, said they had not received anything from Highlanders by Tuesday.

Efforts to have Highlanders’ chairman Themba Ndlela shed light on the matter were fruitless as his mobile phone continued to ring but was not being answered.

Ndlela had said the matter would be dealt with last Friday, when contacted for comment last week.

The Deputy Sherriff attached Bosso’s property last month and it was due to be auctioned to recover Fathi’s money until the Bulawayo soccer giants negotiated with Egyptian gaffer representatives to stop the auction. Bosso promised to settle the debt in two weeks.

Earlier attempts by Highlanders to recover the property through the courts were in vain after the Bulawayo High Court dismissed their urgent chamber application advising the two parties to solve the matter out of court.

It is not the first time that the cash-strapped Bulawayo club has been in trouble and has been taken to the Deputy Sherrif.

Sometime last year, the team’s bus almost went under the hammer to offset a debt owed to club benefactor Vusumuzi Dube, but on the day of the auction well-wishers came to the club’s rescue and paid the debt.