Soccer star commits suicide


Former Caps United defender Carrington (Silent) “Taribo West” Katumba (31) died on Monday night after apparently hanging himself, four years after attempting to kill himself allegedly over domestic issues with his wife Rumbidzai Matanda.

Katumba attempted to end his life in 2007 by taking rat poison over what he referred to as “serious family problems” barely a week after he had returned from the United Kingdom.

Katumba was one of the six “fugitive” CAPS United players who disappeared in the UK at the end of a controversial challenge match against arch-rivals Highlanders in 2005. He returned home two years later.

Six days after his return, Katumba was allegedly involved in a heated argument with some unidentified members of his family.

Katumba claimed at that time that his unceremonious return to Zimbabwe was prompted by this “longstanding” family feud.

Katumba together with five other team mates disappeared at Heathrow Airport just before their scheduled return flight to Zimbabwe.

The other players were Elton Chimedza, Raymond Undi, Artwell Mabhiza, David Sengu and Tichaona Nyenda. Highlanders’ duo of Luckson Mutanga and Dalisiwe Dhlamini also went missing in the UK after taking part in a “money-game” in Bradford.

Sengu has since returned while Mabhiza, Chimedza, Undi and Nyenda have settled in the United Kingdom.
Narrating events that led to Carrington’s death, his younger brother said:

“Carrington and his wife have had long-standing disputes in their marriage and it is unfortunate my brother decided to take his life by hanging himself yesterday (Monday).

“Before hanging himself, Carrington came with his wife to our parents’ house where they wanted our parents to mediate in their marriage disputes. When they arrived at Unit L shopping centre, our mother was still busy with work at her market stall. The wife remained at the stall but Carrington returned to their house in Unit M where I later found him hanging following the argument. What we know is that Carrington wanted to beat his wife on the day in question but we don’t know why. But the truth is that they always argued,” said the younger brother.

Officer in charge for Chitungwiza Police Station Emson Chipazi confirmed the incident.

“We have information that someone committed suicide by hanging in Unit M but we don’t know what led him to commit suicide. We are still investigating the matter but we have recorded the case. The matter came to our attention this morning (Tuesday) and we are still establishing facts,” said Chipazi.

Katumba is survived by his wife Rumbidzai and two children, Brooklyn (7) and Britney (5). Mourners are gathered at number 19158 Unit L, Chitungiza.

Burial arrangements are still to be finalised but a post mortem will be conducted on Wednesday.