MLF Siwela’s fate remains unknown

0
444

The fate of incarcerated Mthwakazi Liberation Front (MLF) leader, Paul Siwela, remained unknown as the Supreme Court was on Moday still to set the appeal hearing by the Attorney General (AG)’s office against granting him bail.

His co-accused, John Gazi and Charles Thomas are out of Khami Remand Prison after Bulawayo judge, Justice Nicholas Ndou upheld his earlier judgment granting them $2 000 bail each.

The judge gave the State leave of appeal against Siwela.

Gazi was released on Monday last week after his family members paid his bail while Thomas was released on Friday after MDC came to his rescue and paid bail on his behalf.

Siwela will however remain in custody until the Supreme Court makes a determination on his bail application.

The lawyer for the three, Advocate Lucas Nkomo, yesterday confirmed that the date for the appeal hearing had not been set, although they had completed preparing their heads of argument.

“We are waiting to hear the date of the hearing. We haven’t been served with the notice yet although we have already finished preparing our heads of argument,” said Nkomo.

Chief law officer for Western division representing the AG, Martha Cheda, has argued that the three were likely to pursue their agenda of removing the government through unconstitutional means if granted bail.

She said Siwela had a pending case of a similar nature for contravening Public Order and Security Act, resulting in the appeal against his bail being upheld by the High Court.