The hearing into alleged cases of fraud and insubordination levelled against suspended city treasurer Albert Zingwe resumed on March 30 after two false starts in December last year and early this year.
Council lawyer Jethro Nyarota told the court Zingwe faced nine charges including fraud, theft and insubordination.
Zingwe is being accused of attempting to fraudulently pay for supplies of 30 tonnes of water treatment chemicals and 2 000 ballistics (street lights).
The suspended treasurer is further accused of fleecing council of about $24 000, a charge Zingwe has strongly denied, saying he was a victim of sour working relations with his bosses.
The hearing was conducted by a three-member committee, which included the Kadoma town clerk, Masvingo city treasurer and Kwekwe magistrate Tendai Mahwe. The committee took three days to gather evidence from the five senior council officials called to testify.
Those who testified were Kwekwe town clerk Emmanuel Musara, acting city treasurer Morris Mutema, deputy treasurer (expenditure) Felix Mutizira, internal auditor Tsitsi Chitsa and engineer John Mhike, who all gave incriminating evidence against Zingwe.
The matter was, however, postponed indefinitely to allow chamber secretary Lucia Mkandla to lead evidence against Zingwe.
Mkandla was away on leave when the matter was heard.
Zingwe’s lawyer Martin Makonese confirmed that the hearing had been postponed and new dates would be announced soon after Mkandla’s return.
“Council led its witnesses against my client from March 30 to April 1 after which the matter was postponed to a later date which I am not at liberty to discuss because I have not yet communicated with my client. What I can tell you is that after Mkandla leads her evidence we will then open the defence case and we will see from there,” said Makonese.
However, sources said council lawyers were pushing for the hearing to resume on April 11.