Masvingo, Chicken Inn record first victories


Masvingo . . . . . . (1) 2
Hwange . . . . . . . . (1) 1

Shabanie Mine . . . . . . 0
Chicken Inn . . . . . (0)2

A spectacular header by last-minute substitute Berven Chirere ensured Masvingo United marched past Hwange in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Mucheke Stadium on Sunday.

Chirere came on for Johnson Zimbabe two minutes before the final whistle and got the goal that secured victory for the hosts.

Masvingo United took the lead in the 35th minute from a Pevington Zimunya grounder that caught Hwange keeper Timothy Sibanda off guard and hit the far post before settling in the nets.

Hwange pulled level in the 44th minute when Tongai Mangwendere took advantage of a lapse in the Masvingo defence and hit the nets effortlessly from a corner.

The visitors failed to maximise their chances they got in the second half and were punished for that.
Faced with the goalkeeper after beating Masvingo defenders, Mangwendere fired a shot that hit the crossbar in the 66th minute before the hosts’ keeper Francis Tizayi quickly regained possession of the ball.

Sensing danger, Masomere dropped Zimbabe just before time and his trick worked when his replacement, Chirere, hit the nets from a cross by Blessing Mazorodze, leaving Masvingo fans, desperate for win, into a frenzy.

At Maglas Stadium, 10-man Chicken Inn sent Shabanie Mine to the cleaners with a superb second-half performance in which they did not only knock the ball around but attacked from all quarters to collect maximum points.

Thabani Goredema made an emotional return to Zvishavane with a second-half double to hand Chicken Inn their first maximum points of the season after a 2-2 draw against Blue Ribbon last week.

Former Zimbabwe international Adam Ndlovu sat on the Chicken Inn bench as assistant coach and said he was happy with the victory. “My guys are hungry for success. We came here to collect three points and we managed that. We hope to continue with the form,” he said.

Goredema played for Shabanie before moving to Kiglon and later Caps United where he found little joy before returning to Bulawayo to join the newly-promoted team.

Danny Phiri, who had a brilliant afternoon, earned himself a red card for disputing a referee’s decision in the 83rd minute after being shown a yellow card earlier in the first half.

After the match fans had running battles with the police as they bayed for Saul Chaminuka’s head, demanding the immediate re-engagement of John Phiri.


Shabanie Mine: R Mazingi, S Shoko, R Mware,S Muchabayiwa, E Bakacheza, T Mareya
(J Chizororo 58th ),C Masocha, M Mageja, R Nenzou, S Ndlovu(T Rukanda 51st)

Chicken Inn: L Chirava, F Mvula, G Majoni, S Banda, H Dick, F Chindungwe,
T Goredema(X Moyo 90th min),T Chimenya, C Nkomo, H Masuku, D Phiri