HomeLocal NewsZanu PF dismisses Zapu exhumation threat

Zanu PF dismisses Zapu exhumation threat

-

Zanu PF spokesperson Rugare Gumbo on Monday scoffed at threats by Zapu president Dumiso Dabengwa that he would cause the exhumation of all former Zapu cadres buried at the National Heroes’ Acre in Harare, saying the former did not have the capacity to do so.

Addressing mourners at Thenjiwe Lesabe’s funeral wake last Friday, Dabengwa threatened to cause the exhumation of former PF Zapu leader and late Vice-President Joshua Nkomo and other former party cadres interred at the national shrine, accusing Zanu PF of conferring hero status on partisan lines.

“We will exhume even the late Vice-President Joshua Nkomo from that place,” said Dabengwa.

Gumbo on Monday said nothing like that would ever happen.

“The (Zanu PF) politburo made its decision and it was final. There is no way an individual can exhume the heroes. In what capacity will Dabengwa do that? It is just impossible. If they can do that why are they not doing it now? We cannot talk of such issues which are not likely to happen,” said Gumbo.

The Zanu PF politburo last week granted Lesabe a state-assisted funeral contrary to public expectation that she would be declared national heroine in accordance with her contribution in the liberation struggle.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading