HomeSportSoccerDynamos players demand $100 000

Dynamos players demand $100 000

-

There is no end in sight to chaos that has rocked Dynamos as the club’s players who represented the team in the 2010 Caf Orange Champions League are now demanding their dues, reported to be over $100 000.

The players approached the Footballers’ Union of Zimbabwe (FUZ) in December last year, and the union on Monday wrote to Dynamos demanding to know when they would give the players their dues.

Sources at the club told NewsDay Sport on Monday that the players are demanding $100 000 of the $230 000 the club received from Caf.

The source added that the players were accusing the Dynamos executive of buying new players with the money they were entitled to.

Part of the letter, dated February 21, 2011 and addressed to Dynamos chairman, Farai Munetsi which was shown to NewsDay Sport read:

“We refer to our previous correspondence regarding the disbursements of CAF funds due to your players for representing the club in last season’s campaign.

“We would like to advise you that we have been approached by your players who are members of our union, who want to know the exact dates the union is going to receive the funds as per the agreement entered into between the players and the union in December last year.

“Since now the funds have been remitted into the Dynamos account by Caf, we would be grateful if you tell the union when the funds will be remitted by 2pm tomorrow (Tuesday)

“We hope Dynamos will find it necessary to give the players their dues as per the agreement they entered with the players.”

FUZ secretary-general Paul Gundani confirmed that all the 28 players who represented the Harare giants, whether they were still at Dynamos or not, deserve their dues.

“I can confirm that all the 28 players who represented Dynamos in the Champions League last season have not received their share of the funds.

“We have since written to them (Dynamos) and we expect a response tomorrow (today) and if (there is) failure by Dynamos to remit the funds we are going to take legal action against them. We have told them that every player that was part of that team deserves their dues whether they are no longer part of the club or even if they played one game,” Gundani said.

FUZ is a body that represents and defends players’ interests and is an affiliate of the International Federation of Professional Footballers (Fifpro), the world controlling body of all national footballers’ union representatives.

Munetsi however professed ignorance about receiving the letter saying he had not gone to the Dynamos offices on Monday.

“I haven’t been to the club’s offices today (Monday) and I have not heard anything about that letter but even if I had seen it I would never discuss players’ salaries and welfare in public,” said Munetsi.

The Glamour Boys were set to pocket $380 000 for reaching the group stages of the competition but the figure was reviewed to $230 000 because of television production costs with the players set to share $115 000.

This would have seen each player getting $4 600 but up to now the players have not been given their dues and the disgruntled players now accuse the current Dynamos executive of using their money to sign new players.

The club lost several senior players during the pre-season with the players complaining that the club’s executive has been insensitive to their needs.

Goalkeeper Washington Arubi, winger Benjamin Marere and long-serving striker Murape Murape all left for Division One side Highfield United, with striker Dylan Chivandire moving to Botswana, while Evans Gwekwerere has crossed the floor to arch-rivals Caps United.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading