HomeSportCricketMawoyo ruled out of World Cup

Mawoyo ruled out of World Cup

-

Zimbabwe’s opening batsman Tinotenda Mawoyo has been ruled out of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket World Cup due to injury just eight days before the start of the global showpiece.

The Zimbabwe team left Dubai for Chennai in India on Wednesday without Mawoyo who was already on his way back home after failing to take part in the warm up matches against Ireland and the Netherlands.

In an interview with NewsDay Sport on Wednesday the team manager Lovemore Banda confirmed that Mawoyo would no longer play any part in the World Cup due to injury.

“Yes, Mawoyo sustained an injury during the training camp in Dubai and will no longer be part of the World Cup team but we are still to get the full details of the extent of his injury.

“As we speak he is on his way back to Zimbabwe and the selectors will have to come up with a replacement.
“As soon as the replacement is named we will approach the ICC’S Event Technical Committee with Mawoyo’s medical report and the name of the replacement,” said Banda.

According to the ICC any injury-based replacement requires a written submission to the Event Technical Committee along with a diagnosis from a medical practitioner as to the extent of the injury.

Once replaced a player cannot return to the squad.

As with all players in the tournament, the eligibility of a replacement player is subject to approval by the ICC before that player can officially be added to the squad.

The news of Mawoyo’s unavailability comes as a serious blow to Zimbabwe’s hopes.

He becomes the second player to be ruled out of the team after Sean Ervine withdrew from the squad two weeks ago.

The Mutare-born opener, who had been brought in as a replacement for Ervine, had looked set to revive his international career but this has gone up in smoke.

Zimbabwe Cricket organised a training camp for the team in Dubai from February 2 but the last minute replacement will not have the opportunity to join camp in Dubai as he will have to travel straight to their base in Chennai, India.

Openers Vusimuzi Sibanda and Terence Duffin are the only batsmen left on the non-travelling reserves and this could brighten their chances of making the squad.

However, a source close to proceedings told NewsDay Sport that the selectors could name anyone from initial 30-man squad as there was no rule against it.

“The selectors seem to have settled for Masakadza as the replacement for Mawoyo although his name is not on the non travelling reserve,” said the source.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading