HomeLocal NewsDhewa seriously ill

Dhewa seriously ill


Sungura giant Tongai “Dhewa” Moyo was yesterday morning ferried by ambulance from Gweru Provincial Hospital to his personal doctor based in Harare.

He had been admitted at the hospital since Tuesday.

NewsDay was at the doctor’s surgery in Harare when Dhewa arrived but we were unable to ascertain details of what transpired except that the musician was taken back to Gweru Provincial Hospital after the check-up by the doctor.

Close sources said Dhewa’s condition was under control and the artist was expected back on his feet in a few days’ time.

The award-winning Naye hit-maker, who has been courageously battling a type of cancer known as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, was hospitalised on Tuesday for the second time in six months, after experiencing severe chest pains and breathing problems.

“I’m not sure how much longer I will be admitted in hospital. I guess my doctor is the only one who will determine that after he examines me, but I’m feeling much better,” Dhewa told NewsDay in a brief interview upon his arrival at a private surgery in Harare.

His wife Miniehle Mukweli, who was by his side in the ambulance, told NewsDay that although Dhewa had not yet fully recovered, he had certainly improved compared to the past few days.

Dhewa, who looked restless, said he had received a platelet transfusion — a process traditionally given to those undergoing chemotherapy — last Thursday.

Gweru Provincial Hospital Medical Superintendent, Dr Fabian Mashingaidze had indicated that there was no need to panic.

“There is no need to panic over his health, his condition is stable and he will soon be discharged,” he said last Thursday.

When NewsDay caught up with Dhewa he was in a lot of pain and it was evident that he was now using a walking stick.

The sungura star is certainly a fighter, having courageously braved his failing health and getting back on his feet for the sake of his family and fans.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading