Dynamos received a major boost on Thursday ahead of the final registration of players for the Caf Orange Champions League after it was revealed that targeted Farai Vimisayi’s contract with Hwange expired in September last year and he is available for the Harare giants.
Fellow participants in the Champions League, debutantes Motor Action, have also finally confirmed the exit of Charles Sibanda and Bheki Ncube from the championship winning side as they prepare to send the final list of players to Caf.
The deadline for the registration of eligible players is on Friday.
A source told NewsDay Sport that Vimisayi is still weighing his options as his contract with the coalminers expired last year.
“Vimisayi is a free agent. His contract with Hwange expired last year. The contract expired at the end of September and he has not renewed it.”
The source said Hwange still wanted to retain the player while Dynamos were also said to be keen on having the player cross the floor to Harare again.
“He has not renewed his contract. But Hwange still want to keep him while Dynamos are also said to have approached the player.
“He is still to decide which team he is going to play for,” said the source.
The player was at the centre of a row after Dynamos registered him for the Champions League without agreeing terms with Hwange last year.
Hwange were later forced to cancel the deal after Dynamos failed to honour their part of the contract.
The coalminers are said to have been demanding $25 000 while Dynamos were said to be offering $15 000 for the player.
Hwange secretary Burzil Dube was not available for comment on Thursday as he was said to be out of the country.
Dynamos, who have a bye in the preliminary round, were mum on their final list yesterday despite losing key players like Evans Gwekwerere, Washington Arubi, Khumbulani Banda, Thabani Kamusoko, Murape Murape and Nicholas Alifandika.
Team secretary Oliver Manyau said they would release their final list today and did not offer much information on the fate of Gwekwerere, who signed a deal with rivals Caps United on Monday.
“We will release the final list tomorrow (Friday). I cannot say much about Evans,” he said.
Dynamos coach Lloyd Mutasa, who arrived from Kiglon as a replacement for Elvis Chiweshe, named defenders Thomas Magorimbo, Dominic Benato and Gift Bello in his 23-man squad.
He also signed Kiglon’s exciting youth international Denver Mukamba and midfielder Devon Chafa.
Motor Action will play Cnaps Sports of Madagascar in the preliminary round on the weekend of January 28-30 at Rufaro with the second leg set for Antananarivo two weeks later.
For weeks, there has been speculation that Soccer Star of the Year finalists Sibanda and former captain Ncube have jumped ship to newly-promoted Mimosa, recently christened as FC Platinum, after signing a three-year deal at the Zvishavane-based side.
Joey Antipas, the Mighty Bulls said they had gone on with their preparations “as if they were not there”.
“They (Sibanda and Ncube) are with the national team. We still don’t know what is happening, but we have been preparing as if they are gone. There is nothing we can do about that. Football continues and life must go on without them.
“We need to focus and fight on, remaining positive all the time. Training has been going on very well, with some of the players we have been targeting more or less here. I’m sure we have all the players we need to register for the competition,” Antipas said.
The Mighty Bulls will now have to pay $1 000 to Caf to replace the two players as part of the late registration charges. Should they manage to reach the mini-league phase, they will be allowed to register more players.
Antipas had swooped on the Kiglon trio of goalkeeper Maxwell Nyamupanedengu and strikers Edmore Chitato and Martin Vengesai.
The Mighty Bulls also registered three players from Monomotapa, defender Ocean Mushure and strikers Tawanda Nyamandwe and Kudakwashe Musharu.
Lengthens central defender Godfrey Moyo and Shooting Stars midfielder Thembani Masuku also made the list.