HomeSportSoccerBulls dismiss Mimosa threat

Bulls dismiss Mimosa threat

-

Premiership champions Motor Action has dismissed the arrival of cash rich Mimosa in the top-flight soccer league following reports that they has signed two players from their championship-winning side Charles Sibanda and Bheki Ncube.

Mimosa, based in Zvishavane, have been linked with the two players who reportedly signed deals last week after undergoing medical tests, scuppering the Mighty Bulls’ chances of making an impressive debut in Africa.

The Mighty Bulls play Cnaps Sports of Madagascar in the first leg, preliminary round of the 2011 edition of the Caf Orange Champions League on the weekend of January 28-30 in Harare before the return leg on the island two weeks later.

But Motor Action owner Eric Rosen is not perturbed by the entry of the team into the Premiership and its threat to grab their title-winning players.

“I think we have a situation where a team comes up with big monies and causes a lot of commotion. It’s the same with Sporting Lions when they came in.

“Mwana Africa and AmaZulu, it was the same case; they came with big money and caused commotion, but where are they are now? They went down first. It’s the same with Mimosa. You have to look into history.”

Perhaps giving away little on the future of the two players, Rosen added: “A team is made up of 11 players; a team cannot be made of two players; we have won games without them.”

He added: “We have not reported to anyone that we are releasing the players or they will be playing for us next season. I don’t know where that story is coming from, your paper has been reporting it.”

Ncube and Sibanda say they – along with the rest of the Motor Action team – were not paid for the last month of the season, and did not receive bonuses for winning the Premier League title.

Sibanda’s brother, the former Hwange captain, Oswald Sibanda, said: “They are owed money by Motor Action and their contracts have run out. It’s that simple.

“They have agreed in principle to join Mimosa as soon as they get their clearances from Motor Action, hopefully this weekend.”

In the event they fail to get their clearances, the players can approach the Zifa Player Status Committee chaired by Central Region chief Patrick Tichaona Hokonya.

New Mimosa chairman Tapson Zhou could not be reached for comment yesterday, but sources said the team’s executive would be meeting either this Friday or early next week to make final plans for the 2011 debut season.

In the Dynamos camp, who are also preparing for the Champions League after receiving a bye, Evans Gwekwerere has flown out to Caps United, joining the trio of goalkeeper Washington Arubi, winger Benjamin Marere and long-serving striker Murape Murape who joined Northern Region Division One side Highfield United.

Team secretary Oliver Manyau put up a brave face yesterday, saying they would have a final list by Thursday.

“Mutasa (Lloyd, the coach) is working on that list and we should have the final one by Thursday,” Manyau

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading