HomeSportSoccerBosso’s season of two halves

Bosso’s season of two halves


Bulawayo soccer giants Highlanders managed to end the 2010 Premiership season in a respectable position although all is not well at the club financially.

The first half of the season was a bag of mixed fortunes for Bosso, who managed to win only one away match in 15 games.

In the first match of the season Bosso beat police side Black Mambas 2-1 at Barbourfields Stadium before falling 1-0 to Harare giants Dynamos at Rufaro Stadium.

They returned to Bulawayo and buried last year’s champions Gunners 1-0 and went to lose to Premiership returnees Shabanie Mine with the same score-line at Maglas Stadium.

The following weekend, Bosso had to travel to Harare where they were again pummeled 3-1 by Caps United.
Highlanders came back home and collected maximum points when they beat Lengthens 2-1 only to get another rude awakening on the road when they lost to coalminers Hwange 1-0 at the Colliery.

They beat Wild Boys, Shooting Stars 1-0 at Barbourfields Stadium before registering three successive goalless draws to Monomotapa away, neighbours Bantu Rovers at Barbourfields Stadium and Eagles in Harare.

Next, Bosso were on the receiving end once more this time succumbing to 2010 champions 3-2, being their first defeat before their home crowd.

They then lost 1-0 to Kiglon in Harare before being awarded three points for an abandoned match against relegated FC Victoria at Emagumeni.

The Bulawayo giants were to win their first away match 1-0 against Douglas Warriors and beat the same team 4-1 at Barbourfields Stadium in the second round of the season.

Bosso then went on to draw 0-0 against relegation survivors Mambas and lost an abandoned match to Dynamos, which was to be the last league match for former head coach Mohamed Fathi.

Enter Mkhuphali “Mr Cooper” Masuku.

Fathi left Bosso was disgruntled over non-payment of salaries and his resignation accepted by Highlanders.
The magic of Mr Cooper then left everyone wondering as he grabbed nine straight victories after taking over as caretaker coach.

Many believed that the team that Masuku took over was built by Fathi’s team while others said Mr Cooper had the magic to see Bosso victorious.

His first win was 2-1 against Gunners away from home and then he beat Shabanie Mine 1-0 at Luveve Stadium.

Bosso then hosted Caps United whom they also dismissed 1-0 before another 1-0 victory at Dzivaresekwa Stadium against relegated Lengthens.

Mr. Cooper’s boys then hammered Hwange 3-1 at Barbourfields before claiming the scalp of Shooting Stars 1-0 and beating former champions Monomotapa 1-0.

They then beat neighbours Bantu Rovers and Eagles with the same score-line before that winning streak was broken by Motor Action with a goalless draw in the capital.

This followed industrial action by the Highlanders players demanding unpaid salaries, allowances and winning bonuses but they later played their last two games saying they were doing it for the multitudes of supporters and not the executive.

They drew 1-1 with Kiglon at home before dismissing FC Victoria 2-1 to end the season perched on position three and Mr Cooper is happy.

“At least it was a happy ending for us. When you a big team position six going downwards is hard to bear. We ended in a respectable position and that was all we needed. Next year we are going to do our best. We will cross the bridge when we get there,” Mr Cooper said.

Be that as it may, things are not so rosy for Bosso, who have failed to pay coaches and players, amid lawsuits which saw their bus almost auctioned.

Players have been on strike now and again and have vowed not to return to the club next year with the latest being that Bosso will not be participating the 2010 Confederation of African Football (Caf) Orange Confederation Cup due to lack of resources.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading