HomeSportSoccerDynamos edge Mighty Bulls

Dynamos edge Mighty Bulls


Motor Action …………………….(0) 1
Dynamos ………………………….(1) 2

Dynamos closed the gap on Premiership log leaders Motor Action to just one point in a controversial and tension-filled top-of-the-table soccer clash at Rufaro Stadium on Sunday.

Evans Gwekwerere put Dynamos ahead in the 37th minute but midfielder Allan Gahadzikwa pulled one back for the Mighty Bulls two minutes after the break from the spot and then Washington Arubi won it for Dynamos from the hotly-contested penalty at the stroke of full time.

The match was stopped for six minutes in the 89th minute as Motor Action players, led by assistant coach David George, protested the penalty decision by the referee Ruzive Ruzive.

They even threatened to walk out of the pitch but their coach Joey Antipas convinced them to continue with the match.

The match was also suspended for another two minutes after Arubi’s goal as Motor Action continued to mob the referee.

The Bulls resumed after the intervention of Antipas again but the coach lost his cool after the final whistle as he ran onto the pitch to confront the referee.

If it wasn’t for the police who moved in swiftly, the referee could have been floored by Antipas who was pushing and shoving him.

Ruzive had to be escorted from the pitch by the heavily- armed police as Motor Action players continued to bay for his blood.

Dynamos are now on 57 points and have a game in hand with the Bulls on 58.

Antipas was furious after the match.

“I haven’t seen such officiating in my life, the referee was dubious. Why is it that Dynamos always get favours from the referees? Can we have fair play please!” said Antipas.

Dynamos assistant coach Simon Chuma was happy with the win but also said the referee was not up to scratch.

“The match was fine but the referee made a lot of mistakes, he should have given Sam Mutenheri a straight red card for blocking that header from Benjamin Marere,” said Chuma.

Ruzive made many questionable decisions throughout the match but all hell broke loose when he ordered a retake after Murape Murape had missed a penalty.

The penalty was awarded after Mutenheri had scooped out a goal-bound Marere header.

The referee rightly awarded a penalty but surprisingly forgot to even caution the defender, but instead gave goalkeeper Marlon Jani a yellow card for protesting the decision.

Arubi took the retake and sent Jani the wrong way to raise the anger in the Motor Action technical area but torching wild celebrations from Dynamos fans.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading