HomeSportSoccerShabanie Mine hold Dynamos

Shabanie Mine hold Dynamos



Shabanie Mine staged a spirited second half performance to earn a vital point in a Premier Soccer League match that could have gone either way had it not been for bad officiating by referee Nkosana Nduna at Maglas Stadium Wednesday.

The referee hogged the limelight for all the wrong reasons. Thabani Kamusoko scored for Dynamos in the 61st minute before the hosts equalised seven minutes from time through Caleb Masocha.

The draw was good enough for Shabanie Mine to move back into third place with 29 points, one ahead of defending champions Gunners.

Dynamos are second with 33 points.

However, the referee denied the home side what looked like a genuine penalty when Shabanie striker Michael Mageja was pulled down in the box by defender Mathew Mahala in the 18th minute but assistant referee Salan Ncube who was close had his flag up.

The assistant remained with his flag up and Shabanie players mobbed him and instead, Nduna issued a yellow card to captain Lennon Chisunga.

This did not go down well with the Shabanie bench who protested against the decision. After the match, Shabanie Mine coach John Phiri had no kind words for the referee whom fans wanted to beat up had it not been for alert police.

“I have never seen such refereeing in my life. He ignored our penalty and I am very disappointed.

My players were careless in the last 15 minutes as they resorted to clearing the ball in a careless manner. It is however a turning point and the draw is good because we are maintaining our status.”

Dynamos went into the lead through former Sundowns midfielder Kamusoko.

The Glamour boys won a free kick from about 20 metres in the 61st minute and Kamusoko curled a beauty that beat Shabanie goalkeeper Roy Mazingi.

After the goal, Dynamos ran rings round the Shabanie defence which lost possession unnecessarily.

Eddie Mashiri could have made it two when he waltzed his way past Fetrigo Santiago but Mazingi came out from his line to block the shot for a corner.

The visitors’ goalkeeper, Washington Arubi was then called to make a save when he denied Phillimon Mudune a goal in the 73rd minute.

Two minutes later, Chisunga was denied another goal by the national team stopper.

Former Lancashire Steel hitman Masocha then equalised for the hosts in the 83rd minute. Mudune broke loose on the left and centred for Masocha who connected first time.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading