HomeNewsDonors dump Copac

Donors dump Copac

-

The ongoing constitution-making process has been plunged into chaos with donors refusing to fund the additional 25 days of the outreach exercise after the expiry of the agreed 65-day period.

Copac co-chairperson Munyaradzi Mangwana said donors told the constitution management committee to ask for money from Russia and China.

“This country was not built by donors. We will find a way of financing the constitution. If the worst comes to the worst we will sell our diamonds,” said Mangwana. “The donors told us to ask China and Russia for money and we are doing just that.”

He said the committee would send a circular to provincial teams to increase the number of meetings from one to two per day to cover more ground.

Mangwana said the outreach exercise to Bulawayo and Harare would go on September 18 and 19. The committee met the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Monday seeking an $8 million supplementary budget.

Before the beginning of the exercise UNDP signed a contract with government to fund the exercise for 65 days.

The contract lapsed last week, leaving Copac with no official funding partner.

Edward Mkhosi, Copac co-chairperson said:
“Donors advised us at the meeting that they are not prepared to fund the supplementary budget.

They said we should seek assistance from other sources that did not take part in the initial process.

“We are looking for money from all possible avenues so that the constitution exercise can proceed smoothly.”

Douglas Mwonzora, another Copac co-chairperson, said Treasury had released additional funds towards the constitution-making process but would not say how much.

Previous articleChunga back at Caps
Next articleTsvangirai reshuffles

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading