HomeSportSoccerRushwaya hearing fails to take off

Rushwaya hearing fails to take off

-

Zifa’s first attempt to drag suspended chief executive officer Henrietta Rushwaya to a disciplinary hearing collapsed yesterday morning after the national association only served supporting documents for their case on the day of the scheduled hearing.

The case will now be heard on September 1.

Rushwaya’s lawyer Selby Hwacha of Dube, Manikai and Hwacha confirmed the developments yesterday morning.

“Zifa were not ready for the case. They had no prepared files for the case and other matters that they had raised. There are also a couple of procedural issues related to the case they need to sort out,” said Hwacha.

Zifa lawyer Ralph Maganga of Maganga and Company also confirmed the development.

Said Maganga: “We did not serve the papers at the right time. We served the papers last week, but we only served the supporting documents this morning (yesterday morning).”

He added: “She remains suspended until the conclusion of the case.”

According to the charge sheet, Rushwaya stands accused of:

“ . . . Facilitating (and) or allowing the Zimbabwe national soccer team to travel to Malaysia on a trip that had not been approved by either the Zifa board or the Sport and Recreation Commission.

“That is to say on December 28 2009, a Zifa employee (Musavengana) under your direct supervision, with your tacit or implied approval, arranged a trip by the national team to Malaysia where the team played a fixed match under the auspices of a Malaysian betting syndicate.

“The team was paid to lose the match, to the prejudice and reputation of Zimbabwe as a soccer playing nation and to the Fifa ranking of the national team.

“That is to say on or about May 26 2010, you on behalf of Zifa, signed a contract with Kentaro A.G in terms of which Zifa literally gave everything away including rights as defined by Article 45 of the Zifa constitution and got nothing out of a soccer match that was eventually played between the Zimbabwe national team and the Brazilian national team at the National Sports Stadium.

“As a result of your action in binding the national association to this one-sided agreement, Kentaro A.G is demanding from Zifa, payment equivalent to all the gate takings realised from the said match, money which the national association did not receive in the first place.

“It is further alleged that you also applied for a loan of US$103 000 from the Sport and Recreation Commission without the authority of the board and to date you have not accounted for the same money, neither have you repaid it. The SRC has demanded this money from Zifa,’ reads part of the charge sheet. ’

While documents on the $103 000 from the SRC were not available yesterday, it is understood that part of the money was used to assist four teams that were taking part in CAF Orange Champions League and the Confederations Cup.

Each of the four clubs is understood to have received $19 000, bringing the total to $76 000 while the remainder was used for player allowances in two matches by the Warriors for the Africa Nations Championships (CHAN) against Swaziland.

Zifa president Cuthbert Dube has pledged to clean Zifa House, which he termed the ‘house of horror’ during a media conference on Monday.

“We will leave no stone unturned to turn around the fortunes of Zifa.”

Programmes officer Jonathan Musavengana and marketing officer Harry Taruva have already been suspended over the match fixing allegations following an unsanctioned trip to Asia in December last year.

Musavengana led the Warriors to Asia in December even though the national association’s constitution states that only board members, who include regional chairpersons, have the power to do so.

He was suspended two months ago, returned to work two weeks ago and was suspended again last week, pending a disciplinary hearing.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading