HomeLocal NewsRoad carnage claims 29

Road carnage claims 29

-

Twenty-nine people have died in 198 separate road accidents throughout the country since the beginning of the Heroes’ holiday on Friday.

Police National Traffic spokesperson, Inspector Tigere Chigome confirmed the deaths on Monday and expressed dismay at the number of fatalities so far with a day to go before the long weekend ends.

Chigome said four people died on the spot while 19 others were injured along the Banket – Raffingora road when a truck they were travelling in burst a tyre and overturned.

Chigome blamed the accident on overloading and speeding.

In another accident, a Nissan Hardbody carrying 13 people burst a tyre and veered off the road on approaching the 28km peg along the Birchenough Bridge – Mt Selinda road.

The driver lost control of the vehicle leading to six people dying on the spot.

Chigome also said several people died in separate road accidents that occurred around the country with the total number now standing at 29 since Friday.

Out of the 198 accidents Chigome said 16 were fatal while 23 were serious and caused injuries to passengers.

A total of 161 people were injured in the accidents since the beginning of the holidays.

A total of 43 people died during last year’s Heroes and Defence Forces holidays.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading