HomeNewsRushwaya finally suspended

Rushwaya finally suspended

-

Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) president Cuthbert Dube performed a mid-air somersault last night and finally suspended chief executive officer Henrietta Rushwaya.
In a press release, Dube said Rushwaya was being suspended to “facilitate the Zifa probe team to carry out” their investigations on the Asia trip.
He said: “The Zifa board met on July 24 and unanimously resolved to suspend the Zifa chief executive officer, (Ms) Henrietta Rushwaya with immediate effect.
The decision has been necessitated by alleged acts of mismanagement and the serious irregularities surrounding the national team’s trip to Asia in December 2009.
“The suspension is to facilitate the Zifa probe team to carry out, among other mismanagement issues, investigations over alleged match fixing, betting and bribery surrounding the national team’s trips to Asia in December 2009.
“This is also against the background that there have been allegations of undue interference and influence on the witnesses who are key to this investigation.
“The Zifa board is determined to get to the bottom of these issues and will endeavour to do the best it can to ensure that the administration of the game of football in Zimbabwe is not brought into disrepute.
“To that end, the Zifa board will work closely with the Zimbabwe Sports and Recreation Commission, Cosafa, Caf, Fifa and other relevant parties to address its challenges.
“The Zifa board is not, and will not be perturbed, by any moves aimed at either pre-empting the investigations or defeating the course of justice.”
Dube’s stance comes exactly two days after he denied that Rushwaya had been suspended.
In the letter, Rushwaya was advised not to visit any Zifa offices countrywide and hand over keys to her office to her predecessor Jonathan Mashingaidze.
It said: “During the suspension period you shall not be permitted to; (i) visit the Zifa offices countrywide; (ii) interfere with the inquiry committee headed by the vice-president (Mr) Ndumiso Gumede; (iii) interfere with witnesses more particularly but not limited to, national team players, Zifa employees and former and current board members; (iv) and interact or otherwise communicate with Cosafa, Caf and Fifa.”
Rushwaya refused to comment yesterday but the axe has been always been hovering over her head since the news was broken two weeks ago.
Allegations are that the Warriors were involved in match fixing when they visited Asia in December and played two Asian nations — Syria and Thailand and a Malaysian club.
A probe was instituted after the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) caught the football governing body offside for failing to observe protocol when they travelled outside the country.
Zifa and other sports associations are required by law to get the green light from the supreme sports body before undertaking any foreign trip. On that day (December 28 2009), Zifa failed to observe that hence the investigation.
Several people have testified before the committee including Zifa employees, Warriors players, former Zifa president Wellington Nyatanga and former Zifa board member (finance) Gladmore Muzambi. Gumede said yesterday: “We are continuing with our mission and I’m happy that we have finally started to receive positive response from players who initially refused to co-operate. Everything is going on well and we hope to complete our investigations soon.”

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading