HomeLocal NewsParticipants under fire for Copac input

Participants under fire for Copac input


A district administrator (DA) in Masvingo has gone into hiding fearing for his life after he was threatened by alleged Zanu PF supporters for his contributions at a constitutional outreach meeting at Chivi Centre.
Independent constitution-making observers said Bernard Hadzirabwi the DA for Chivi District got himself into trouble after he suggested in his contribution that the country’s Prime Minister should have executive powers.
This apparently irked some Zanu PF supporters and security agents present at the meeting two weeks ago.
According to observers from the Independent Constitution Monitoring Project (ZZZICOMP), Zanu PF youths on Monday organised a demonstration against Hadzirabwi at the Chivi centre and threatened security guards at his offices accusing them of protecting an MDC-T sympathiser.
“After receiving the threats on several occasions, Hadzirabwi has not been reporting for duty since last week fearing for his life,” ZZZICOMP said in a statement.
ZZZICOMP said the Zanu PF District Coordinating Committee chairperson Sanders Magwizi had allegedly summoned the head of the District Development Fund for the area Ernest Temba to his office after he also made contributions deemed to be against Zanu PF interests.
It is alleged that Temba made contributions deemed to be against the Kariba Draft during a Copac outreach meeting in the area.
“In the same district, an official in the Ministry of Women’s Affairs, Gender and Community Development one Mugarajira has also received violent threats from the Zanu PF youths for the contributions he made at the outreach meeting held at Chivi Centre,” ZZZICOMP said.
“The youth militia are not happy with the contributions, which are believed to be anti-Zanu PF, and they are accusing him of being a sell-out.”
In Manicaland a ZZZICOMP monitor was detained for more than three hours last Friday following a Copac outreach meeting in Mutasa North, Ward 4 at Dumba Business Centre.
John Ziyera (29), who was observing the proceedings under ZZZICOMP, was detained after Zanu PF supporters accused him of being a stranger who should not be part of the meeting.
“The Zanu PF supporters became riotous and wanted to physically assault Ziyera who was saved by David Chimhini, a Copac team leader who handed him over to the police,” ZZZICOMP said.
He was later taken to Mutare Central Police Station.
Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights lawyer based in Mutare Blessing Nyamaropa attended to Ziyera and facilitated his release on the same day.
Ziyera said he was interrogated by the police from the Law and Order Section throughout the period he was detained at the police station but was not told of the charges he was facing.
Upon his release around 2100hrs he was told to report back to the police station the next morning.
“The following day they only recorded his profile and told him that they would call him if they found a case against him before releasing him,” said Nyamaropa.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading