Zifa employees unpaid for three months


Zifa has gone for three months without paying its employees, barely a month after the football mother body hosted Brazil in a high profile international friendly match which raised thousands of dollars.
Zifa’s financial woes were largely expected to improve after the friendly match with Brazil which had the potential to generate thousands of dollars in television rights and gate takings, but the national association has not made public how much they raised from the game.
NetOne, Zimplats and CBZ Holdings shelled out $1,8 million as appearance fees for the Brazilians while Zifa was expected to make a killing from gate-takings where close to 50 000 fans passed through the turnstiles. Sources at Zifa who spoke to NewsDay yesterday on condition of anonymity complained about the predicament they found themselves in.
“It’s true that we haven’t been paid for the past three months. I don’t know how they expect us to fend for our families. Some of us are breadwinners in our families,” said one disgruntled source.
Another source said: “It’s a terrible situation for us, we do not know if we will get anything this month.”
Zifa chief executive officer Henrietta Rushwaya could neither deny nor confirm the latest developments deciding to emphasise on the fact that all the workers were doing their duties as usual.
“It’s business as usual at the association and if the workers had gone for three months without pay they would not be at work. If you want, you can come and check for yourself,” said Rushwaya. Zifa have a reputation of not paying employees dating back to the previous board, a development that led to the resignation of national team coach Sunday Chidzambwa.
The former Warriors gaffer was owed close to $60 000 in outstanding salaries before he decided to jump ship to Free State Stars in South Africa. Another former coach Valinhos had to take up his case with Fifa to get his dues.
The coming in of the new board was expected to usher in a new era of financial stability but that has not happened. NewsDay is reliably informed that the latest development has severely affected the morale of the workers at 53 Livingstone Avenue.